BY Brandon Voss
September 16 2011 8:35 AM ET
7. DVD: Leading Ladies
This touching first feature from Daniel and Erika Randall Beahm, a light and lively LGBT film festival favorite, stars So You Think You Can Dance choreographer Melanie LaPatin as an overbearing stage mom to two ballroom-dancing sisters, one of whom is a shy tomboy who comes out as gay and takes a female partner for a ballroom competition. SYTYCD season 2 winner Benji Schwimmer costars as the girls’ flamboyant gay bestie.
6. TV: The Strange History of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
Premiering September 19, this original HBO documentary by out filmmakers Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato chronicles the controversial legislation that let gays serve in the U.S. military as long as they didn’t disclose their sexual orientation. Shot during the law’s final 15 months, the film includes personal accounts by active gay soldiers and interviews with key players like Rep. Barney Frank and Col. Margarethe Cammermeyer.
5. TV: The Playboy Club
Set in one of Hugh Hefner’s infamous Playboy Clubs in 1961, NBC’s sexy new series debuts September 19 on NBC. Tasya Van Ree’s girlfriend Amber Heard stars as the main bunny, and Leah Renee (pictured) plays sweet, motherly bunny Alice, a closeted lesbian involved with the Chicago chapter of historic gay rights group Mattachine Society. Sean Maher, who played gay in Wedding Wars, plays Alice’s gay husband of convenience.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment