The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
Happy Endings (ABC)
This modern-day, Chicago-based Friends features Adam Pally as Max, one of the rarest of breeds: a realistic gay guy in an ensemble comedy.
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)
A teenage mystery about four best friends that’s equal parts Heathers, Desperate Housewives, and Nancy Drew for the cyber age, and one, Emily (played by Shay Mitchelle), is a lesbian.
True Blood (HBO)
Vampires, werewolves, demons, fairies, and humans coexist in Bon Temps, a small town in Louisiana — but hardly peacefully. Many of them are bisexual or gay.
American Horror Story (FX)
Zachary Quinto as a gay interior designer and creepy former house owner is just one of the many queer things about this gothic Southern horror.
The most underrated LGBT-friendly show is this decade-old teen soap opera in which Jordan Todosey plays trans kid Adam, Argiris Karras and Shannon Kook-Chun are gay athletes Riley and Zane, and Annie Clark is lesbian teen Fiona.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- #TBT: Posters of Male Nudes
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead