The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
Happy Endings (ABC)
This modern-day, Chicago-based Friends features Adam Pally as Max, one of the rarest of breeds: a realistic gay guy in an ensemble comedy.
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)
A teenage mystery about four best friends that’s equal parts Heathers, Desperate Housewives, and Nancy Drew for the cyber age, and one, Emily (played by Shay Mitchelle), is a lesbian.
True Blood (HBO)
Vampires, werewolves, demons, fairies, and humans coexist in Bon Temps, a small town in Louisiana — but hardly peacefully. Many of them are bisexual or gay.
American Horror Story (FX)
Zachary Quinto as a gay interior designer and creepy former house owner is just one of the many queer things about this gothic Southern horror.
The most underrated LGBT-friendly show is this decade-old teen soap opera in which Jordan Todosey plays trans kid Adam, Argiris Karras and Shannon Kook-Chun are gay athletes Riley and Zane, and Annie Clark is lesbian teen Fiona.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 1 min ago
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 2 hours 58 min ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM