The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
The Good Wife (CBS)
Indian-British actress Archie Panjabi played the ethically challenged investigator Kalinda in a season-long tease toward coming out as bisexual — but what payoff! And Alicia’s kid brother Owen (Dallas Roberts) got a boyfriend (played by Michael Arden). A bonus: Gay Harvey Fierstein and bisexual Alan Cumming both have regular roles.
American Dad (Fox)
Sure, there are gay anchor partners slash dads Terry and Greg, who wave the rainbow flag as often as possible, but the bisexual alien Roger (voiced by Seth MacFarlane) is still the most interesting queer person on Sunday night TV.
Glee clubbers Kurt and Blaine, Santana and Brittany (a gay duo and a lesbian and bisexual kid, respectively) show America’s teens you don’t have to have a GSA at your school to be yourself. Chris Colfer, Darren Criss, Naya Rivera, and Heather Morris all get props. Bonus kudos: Jane Lynch and Dot Jones, real-life lesbian actresses defying gender norms in nongay roles.
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
Callie (the lovely Sara Ramirez) and Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) got married in a lovely same-sex wedding and as of press time they remained happy. Surprised? Rarely are lesbians on TV happy. And so far nobody’s ruined it with a lesbian bed death story line.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 58 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM