The Best TV Shows with LGBT Characters
BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2011 5:00 AM ET
The Good Wife (CBS)
Indian-British actress Archie Panjabi played the ethically challenged investigator Kalinda in a season-long tease toward coming out as bisexual — but what payoff! And Alicia’s kid brother Owen (Dallas Roberts) got a boyfriend (played by Michael Arden). A bonus: Gay Harvey Fierstein and bisexual Alan Cumming both have regular roles.
American Dad (Fox)
Sure, there are gay anchor partners slash dads Terry and Greg, who wave the rainbow flag as often as possible, but the bisexual alien Roger (voiced by Seth MacFarlane) is still the most interesting queer person on Sunday night TV.
Glee clubbers Kurt and Blaine, Santana and Brittany (a gay duo and a lesbian and bisexual kid, respectively) show America’s teens you don’t have to have a GSA at your school to be yourself. Chris Colfer, Darren Criss, Naya Rivera, and Heather Morris all get props. Bonus kudos: Jane Lynch and Dot Jones, real-life lesbian actresses defying gender norms in nongay roles.
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
Callie (the lovely Sara Ramirez) and Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) got married in a lovely same-sex wedding and as of press time they remained happy. Surprised? Rarely are lesbians on TV happy. And so far nobody’s ruined it with a lesbian bed death story line.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 51 min 50 sec ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 34 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 2 hours 41 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 2 hours 44 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM