WATCH: Kristin Bell, Dax Shepard Ridicule Chick-fil-A
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 7:30 PM ET
Actors Kristin Bell and Dax Shepard say they respect the first amendment rights of antigay Chick-fil-A COO Don Cathy, but his is a "homophobic, terribly outdate, wrong-side-of-history opinion."
"The Ku Klux Klan should have the right to open a pizza parlor," Shepard jokes. Bell agrees, adding, "We as citizens have the right to unite and share our opinions and go, 'Hey guys, let's not go to Chick-fil-A.'"
The couple, both of whom are longtime equality advocates, appeared on Larry King Now to promote their new action comedy Hit & Run. The film which opens in theaters tomorrow contains a surprising —or perhaps not so surprising considering Shepard co-wrote and co-directed—a huge amount of pro-gay content. Their characters even have a discussion about the repercussions of using the three-letter f-word to mean "lame."
In an interview with The Advocate last February, Bell discussed the reason she and Shepard have no plans to marry. "To be honest with you — and this is the first time I’ve ever said this to a journalist, but it feels like the perfect time and place — the reason we’re not rushing to get married is because I don’t feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that’s denied to my best friends," she revealed. "That’s why we’ve been so hesitant. Dax and I have talked about it a lot, and this issue is very important to both of us. We’re just standing up for what we believe in. Period."
Watch them discuss the Chick-fil-A controversy below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM