WATCH: Kristin Bell, Dax Shepard Ridicule Chick-fil-A
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 7:30 PM ET
Actors Kristin Bell and Dax Shepard say they respect the first amendment rights of antigay Chick-fil-A COO Don Cathy, but his is a "homophobic, terribly outdate, wrong-side-of-history opinion."
"The Ku Klux Klan should have the right to open a pizza parlor," Shepard jokes. Bell agrees, adding, "We as citizens have the right to unite and share our opinions and go, 'Hey guys, let's not go to Chick-fil-A.'"
The couple, both of whom are longtime equality advocates, appeared on Larry King Now to promote their new action comedy Hit & Run. The film which opens in theaters tomorrow contains a surprising —or perhaps not so surprising considering Shepard co-wrote and co-directed—a huge amount of pro-gay content. Their characters even have a discussion about the repercussions of using the three-letter f-word to mean "lame."
In an interview with The Advocate last February, Bell discussed the reason she and Shepard have no plans to marry. "To be honest with you — and this is the first time I’ve ever said this to a journalist, but it feels like the perfect time and place — the reason we’re not rushing to get married is because I don’t feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that’s denied to my best friends," she revealed. "That’s why we’ve been so hesitant. Dax and I have talked about it a lot, and this issue is very important to both of us. We’re just standing up for what we believe in. Period."
Watch them discuss the Chick-fil-A controversy below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 10 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 54 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 12 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 2 hours 46 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM