Ozomatli Fires Away for Equality
BY Lesley Goldberg
May 13 2010 7:00 PM ET
It was important to us that this wasn’t something that we thought about — it wasn’t “let’s write a gay and lesbian anthem” — it just happened naturally, which is really much better. It came from a place in our hearts that’s pure, that had no agenda. To me, it’s in the vein of our best music and it’s a really good song and I think we’re able to touch on issues with each particular line in the song. That’s what was really important about this — the lyrics — and how to present these little scenarios that have to deal with a lot of the pain that we saw people were having to deal with, that we know people have to deal with. We can put that in context of many different things. It’s not just a gay and lesbian issue, it’s a humanity issue. We get challenged like that with our relationships with women, with our relationships with gay and lesbian people, with people of different races and cultures, and how to continually have a broader, more humane perspective.
How did you connect with the L.A.-based nonprofit Honor PAC to provide images of LGBT couples included in the video?
We had done a fund-raiser with Honor PAC, so we already had a relationship. When they heard the music, they were really inspired and they asked us to participate. The fact that the song has a deeper meaning and helps promote gay and lesbian rights, we’re totally down for that. For us, it’s been a learning process, a really beautiful learning process. I’m the one who sings the lead vocals on that song, and I’m really happy when I sing it. I’ve become more and more proud of that song and very emotional about it in a very good way. It’s not just a party track. We’re definitely proud of the song.
Watch Ozomatli play and discuss “Gay Vatos in Love” below.
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 24 min 39 sec ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 31 min 54 sec ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 38 min 38 sec ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 43 min 39 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 35 min ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 44 min ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 47 min ago