Soapside: Advocate's Guide to Daytime
BY Michael Fairman
June 18 2009 12:00 AM ET
Something's Fish-y in Llanview
Today is a red-letter day on One Life to Live, when the gay story line between Officer Fish (Scott Evans, at left) and troublemaker Kyle Lewis (Brett Claywell) gets under way, after an uncomfortable and unusual encounter is witnessed by Fish's roommate Layla (whom he later asks out on a date) while taking a stroll with her dog. Hmm. The powers that be at One Life tell me that we can expect to see Fish and Kyle's romantic situation develop in the weeks to come. The show's head writer Ron Carlivati previews for Advocate.com, "Oliver Fish (affectionately known as Fish) is a young police officer and self-described computer geek looking for a second chance to date his female roommate, Layla Williamson. But what is the secret behind his strained relationship with his former best friend and fraternity brother, medical student Kyle Lewis? As the truth about their past begins to come to light, we will go on the journey with Fish as he struggles to come to terms with who he really is."
For more insight, don't miss my Advocate.com interview with Scott Evans this coming Monday. In it, we chat about his brother, actor Chris Evans's comments to The Advocate last February, and about Scott's life as an openly gay actor. If you want to find out what's in store for Officer Fish, and for LGBT fans of One Life to Live , check it out. It's going to be a hot summer in Llanview folks!
Geneva Swift gets a Mom
If you have been catching recent episodes of As the World Turns , you have seen Henry Coleman play dress-up as Oakdale's town "Tootsie" Geneva Swift on the popular talk show, Oakdale Now. Seems Henry is enjoying Geneva's popularity a little too much. Actor Trent Dawson is doing an incredible job playing Henry's alter-ego. However, I could not help but laugh at this programming note from As the World Turns -- "Next up: Vienna is scheduled to do a segment on pole-dancing, but hurts her back during rehearsal. Henry, as Geneva, fills in for Vienna." And that's not allâ€¦. The incorporable Lynn Herring (who played Lucy Coe for all she was worth both on General Hospital and its spin-off Port Charles ) is heading back to daytime this July to play Henry's wayward mom Audrey. In a recent interview with TV Guide she revealed, "Audrey is kind of a grifter, a con woman who has been through a lot. She's like Lucy Coe in a way, but older and wiser. So far I've only shot a few episodes, but Trent and I are already chewing scenery together."
Herring is slated thus far for an eight-week run.
Rafe and Adam on TheYoung & the Restless
On June 25, fans of Y&R will see the new Adam Newman, played by Michael Muhney. As previously reported, the actor was an emergency recast when Chris Engen walked out on the coveted role. Now, it seems all systems are a go and we will start to see more of Adam's twisted plot to keep his 'gas-lighting of Ashley' a secret. Seems Rafe is determined to prove his Aunt Estella's innocence (poor lady, everyone is pinning this on the trusted maid) and demands to search Adam's room for incriminating evidence. But just how far will Adam go to stop him? Is this the 'kiss' that sent ripples throughout the industry and sent Engen out the front door at CBS? Don't miss it.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- FEMEN protesters in France have been a recurring...
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 42 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM