Dolly Punches In to Broadway
BY Mike Diamond
May 20 2009 11:00 PM ET
The show's music is hit-or-miss. The title song is a no-brainer and works especially well in the country-gospel revival-feeling final reprise. Parton, the composer and lyricist, certainly knows how to turn a phrase, and the act 1 songs "Backwoods Barbie," "Heart to Hart," (brava to Kathy Fitzgerald as snitchy corporate kiss-ass Roz Keith!), and "Shine Like the Sun" are standouts. Mostly, though, the tunes serviceable but forgettable, and act 2 is weighed down by some real clunkers, particularly the saccharine "Let Love Grow." And was it really necessary to give Violet a love interest? Janney really can't sing, but it works; she comes across as somebody's goofy Mom. Hilty has a charming sound to her voice, and Block redeems herself with a powerful set of pipes.
9 to 5: The Musical is a worthy if simple addition to the "let's turn a movie into a stage show!" trend on Broadway, sure to please the hordes of middle-aged Midwestern tourists. While the story still resonates as a potent feminist revenge fantasy, this a Dolly Parton baby through and through -- boob jokes, sequins, and smiles overshadow the sociopolitical subtext. Shout out to costume designer William Ivey Long; the outfits in the pot-induced homicidal dream scene are fabulous, particularly in Doralee's cowgirl sequence.
A thought-provoking, soul-stirring night at the theater this ain't -- there are sparkly costumes, moving sets, a large video-screen backdrop, moustachioed dancing boys doing somersaults -- but so what? Subtlety is not the point here. 9 to 5: The Musical is two hours and 20 minutes of silly, feel-good, somewhat familiar song and dance. Time to make the doughnuts!
At the Marquis Theatre Music and Lyrics by Dolly Parton Book by Patricia Resnick Directed by Joe Mantello Choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM