Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for August 2009
BY Brandon Voss
August 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
Speaking of burning sensations, the new Broadway season officially began with the August 2 opening of Burn the Floor at the Longacre Theatre. Made up of a live band, a fog machine, a disco ball, a pair of vocalists, and 10 dancing couples from various countries around the world, this evening of competitive ballroom dance (or "dancesport") was choreographed by out Aussie Jason Gilkison and conceived as a special performance for Elton John's 50th birthday celebration in 1997.
Considering its queer genesis, it's a shame there isn't at least one steamy same-sex samba, but I suppose a waltz set to "After All (Love Theme From Chances Are )" is close enough. Crowds craving eye candy of both sexes won't go hungry here, and those sitting in the front rows may even feel beads of sweat flinging off the male dancers' ripped abs, strong shoulders, and impossibly toned legs as they spin, lunge, thrust ... What was I talking about? Oh, right. Dancing.
If you're already suffering from So You Think You Can Dance withdrawal, you can feel the Burn until October 18. Catch it by August 16 and ogle Dancing With the Stars darlings Karina Smirnoff and the oft-shirtless Maksim Chmerkovskiy (pictured left).
For next month's column I'll recount my brave attempt to see as many gay-themed shows in the 13th annual Fringe Festival as humanly possible during the last two weeks of August. Sort of like Julie Powell's Julie/Julia Project, only with fewer carbs and zero chance of a feature film adaptation starring Meryl Streep.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 3 min 4 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 6 min 41 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 21 min 55 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 29 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM