Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for August 2009
BY Brandon Voss
August 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
Speaking of burning sensations, the new Broadway season officially began with the August 2 opening of Burn the Floor at the Longacre Theatre. Made up of a live band, a fog machine, a disco ball, a pair of vocalists, and 10 dancing couples from various countries around the world, this evening of competitive ballroom dance (or "dancesport") was choreographed by out Aussie Jason Gilkison and conceived as a special performance for Elton John's 50th birthday celebration in 1997.
Considering its queer genesis, it's a shame there isn't at least one steamy same-sex samba, but I suppose a waltz set to "After All (Love Theme From Chances Are )" is close enough. Crowds craving eye candy of both sexes won't go hungry here, and those sitting in the front rows may even feel beads of sweat flinging off the male dancers' ripped abs, strong shoulders, and impossibly toned legs as they spin, lunge, thrust ... What was I talking about? Oh, right. Dancing.
If you're already suffering from So You Think You Can Dance withdrawal, you can feel the Burn until October 18. Catch it by August 16 and ogle Dancing With the Stars darlings Karina Smirnoff and the oft-shirtless Maksim Chmerkovskiy (pictured left).
For next month's column I'll recount my brave attempt to see as many gay-themed shows in the 13th annual Fringe Festival as humanly possible during the last two weeks of August. Sort of like Julie Powell's Julie/Julia Project, only with fewer carbs and zero chance of a feature film adaptation starring Meryl Streep.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 20 min 35 sec ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 1 hour 19 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 2 hours 20 min ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM