Seat Filler: 's Guide to New York Theater
BY Brandon Voss
November 15 2011 6:17 PM ET
One of three British solo shows performed in rep as part of the 2011 Brits Off Broadway festival, James Gaddas’s lean and muscular monologue is a knockout under Donald Pulford’s punchy direction. The appealing Jonny Collis-Scurll stars as Flynn, a dedicated boxer and son of a much less successful fighter. As he does push-ups and pummels unseen opponents, we also learn that Flynn is also a gay man who overcame childhood bullying.
59E59 Theatres, through November 20.
Graphic unsafe sex scenes and full-frontal nudity eclipse all else in Thomas Bradshaw’s provocative moral satire — helmed by New Group’s out artistic director Scott Elliott — about icky folks like incestuous neo-Nazi siblings. In an ’80s-set storyline, an orphaned 14-year-old is taken in by an older gay couple who shamelessly sleep with him until he contracts HIV from another adult and grows up to indulge his own id with a black youth.
Acorn Theatre, through December 17.
Racial perceptions are challenged when a Filipina — is she a mail-order sex slave? — moves in with a pair of liberal roommates. The unhealthy heart of this likable lightweight comedy, which was written by The Social Network’s Jesse Eisenberg, is the lopsided bromance between neurotic weirdo Edgar (Eisenberg) and sleazebag stoner Vinny (Justin Bartha). During a bad acid trip, Edgar offers Vinny oral sex to prove his love and loyalty.
Cherry Lane Theatre, through December 18.
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 19 min 43 sec ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 25 min 10 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 1 hour 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 1 hour 23 min ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 1 hour 44 min ago
- Military Hagel: Full National Guard To Recognize Gay Couples 2 hours 17 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 12:00 PM