Stephen Colbert: Rep. Steve King Has a Natural Desire to Discriminate
BY Lucas Grindley
April 10 2012 12:30 PM ET
Comedian Stephen Colbert ripped Rep. Steve King for suggesting it's the responsibility of gay people to stay in the closet at work.
As always, the joke is that Colbert makes thinly veiled swipes via his persona as a right-wing commentator. So when King says employers could avoid lawsuits by ensuring their employees say in the closet, Colbert actually backs him up.
"Hear that, the gays? It's up to you to keep us from discriminating," warns Colbert, "because once we know you're gay, I have a natural desire to fire you. And unlike gay, discriminating is not a choice."
Watch the entire segment below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Spirit Awards Gives Love Is Strange Four Nods, Including Best Picture
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School