Four Gay Men to Be Hanged in Iran for Sodomy
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 14 2012 5:13 PM ET
Four men have been sentenced to death for sodomy in the Iranian town of Choram, a town in the relatively remote and undeveloped Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Province, according to Pink News, Europe's largest gay news service.
Saadat Arefi, Vahid Akbari, Javid Akbari, and Houshmand Akbari are due to be executed soon, according to a report from the Human Rights Activist News Agency in Iran.
According to gay news site JOOPEA, the men will be hanged for sodomy according to strict interpretaion of Shariâ€™a law. The location of the trial and the speed with which the punishment it expected to be meted out reportedly makes it unlikely that international organizations will be able to intervene on the men's behalf.
A gay activist based in Iran told Pink News that "being gay is not a crime based on Iranian criminal law, but this is the most clear statement against same-sex acts in past months."
Mehri Jafari, a London-based Iranian human rights lawyer, was also quoted by Pink News, saying he was "horrified and saddened to have heard the news about these four men. Not only with regards to the execution which is about to take place, but the fact that is beyond our control."
Activists in Iran say that at least five other men have been hanged for homosexuality this year in Iran, though the reason for the punishment of some men was not identified to international human rights watchers.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 35 min 24 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 9 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 9 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 9 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM