Teen Uses Gay Defense For Molestation Arrest
BY Michelle Garcia
July 18 2012 2:24 PM ET
An 18-year-old man who was accused of molesting an 11-year-old boy is defending his actions by saying that that he and the boy are gay.
Joel Cuellar of McAllen, Texas, was caught with his pants down in a parked car, accompanied by the sibling of one of his friends. They were parked at a local soccer park, while Cuellar was supposed to be taking the younger boy to a movie. Cuellar admitted to participating in sexual activity with the boy on three to four occasions.
Though he used the gay defense, MaleSurvivor executive director Christopher Anderson told Valley Central News that the defense of saying that he and the boy are gay has no basis on the boy's age of consent.
"There's absolutely no way that an 18-year-old can say that it's O.K. for us to have been doing this because he wanted it or were just made this way," Anderson said. "Homosexuality does not in any way justify sexual molestation of a child."
According to Anderson, about 1 in 6 boys will be sexually molested before they reach age 18.
Terry Canales, Cuellar's attorney, released a statement on the case, and said he hoped there would be a swift legal resolution, "So that the mental healing process can begin for all parties." He added, "As always, it is difficult comment on an ongoing criminal case, without jeopardizing the attorney client privilege, or a clients rights. What I can say is these are very serious allegations, and my client and his family are prepared to respond. Obviously, this is a troubling case for everyone involved, including the alleged victim and his family."
Watch the report below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM