Teen Uses Gay Defense For Molestation Arrest
BY Michelle Garcia
July 18 2012 2:24 PM ET
An 18-year-old man who was accused of molesting an 11-year-old boy is defending his actions by saying that that he and the boy are gay.
Joel Cuellar of McAllen, Texas, was caught with his pants down in a parked car, accompanied by the sibling of one of his friends. They were parked at a local soccer park, while Cuellar was supposed to be taking the younger boy to a movie. Cuellar admitted to participating in sexual activity with the boy on three to four occasions.
Though he used the gay defense, MaleSurvivor executive director Christopher Anderson told Valley Central News that the defense of saying that he and the boy are gay has no basis on the boy's age of consent.
"There's absolutely no way that an 18-year-old can say that it's O.K. for us to have been doing this because he wanted it or were just made this way," Anderson said. "Homosexuality does not in any way justify sexual molestation of a child."
According to Anderson, about 1 in 6 boys will be sexually molested before they reach age 18.
Terry Canales, Cuellar's attorney, released a statement on the case, and said he hoped there would be a swift legal resolution, "So that the mental healing process can begin for all parties." He added, "As always, it is difficult comment on an ongoing criminal case, without jeopardizing the attorney client privilege, or a clients rights. What I can say is these are very serious allegations, and my client and his family are prepared to respond. Obviously, this is a troubling case for everyone involved, including the alleged victim and his family."
Watch the report below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 1 hour 7 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 1 hour 25 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 1 hour 32 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 47 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 58 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 2 hours 25 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 hours 32 min ago