BY Julie Bolcer
January 29 2010 1:15 PM ET
The day after President Obama reiterated his pledge to repeal the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy in his State of the Union address, he traveled to the University of Tampa in Florida for a town hall meeting. He took six questions from the crowd, including one from Hector Flores, a senior performing arts and communication major, who went last and asked the president about equality for same-sex couples, including marriage.
Flores, a 21-year-old native of Jersey City, New Jersey, talked to Advocate.com about asking the question, and what he thought of the president's answer.
Advocate.com: How did you feel about the State of the Union speech?
Hector Flores: I watched it several times. A lot of the reforms had to do with the financial deficit that we’re facing and other valid issues, but I wanted to have clarification that gays are also in the groups to be taken care of.
Are you involved with gay rights activities on campus?
I am involved somewhat. We have an organization here at the University of Tampa. I go their events when I can. I am also in a fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha, an honor society, Alpha Psi Omega, and I am a resident advisor. That’s how I found out about the event.
How long did you have to prepare for the president’s visit?
I received an email, probably two days before, saying that because I was a campus leader, I had a ticket to go see Obama, and asking me whether I wanted to accept it. Of course, I wanted to go.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 18 min 52 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 41 min 44 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 49 min 12 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 57 min 17 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 59 min 52 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 27 min ago