Sweden: Pro Soccer Star Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2011 8:30 PM ET
The son of one of Sweden's most legendary soccer players announced he is gay, making him the country's first professional soccer player to come out while still actively playing.
Anton Hysen, 20, plays for Utsiktens BK. His father, Glenn Hysen, started playing in Liverpool, England, in 1989, helping his team to its 18th league title in his first season.
"I am a footballer. And gay," Hysen said in Offside magazine, according to the Daily Mail. "If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like girls or boys."
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents
- The Lost Pink Triangles
- Fla. Man Fired for Saying He'll Wed His Dog Because of Same-Sex Marriage
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet