Sweden: Pro Soccer Star Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2011 8:30 PM ET
The son of one of Sweden's most legendary soccer players announced he is gay, making him the country's first professional soccer player to come out while still actively playing.
Anton Hysen, 20, plays for Utsiktens BK. His father, Glenn Hysen, started playing in Liverpool, England, in 1989, helping his team to its 18th league title in his first season.
"I am a footballer. And gay," Hysen said in Offside magazine, according to the Daily Mail. "If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like girls or boys."
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- WATCH: Oregon Gov. Emotionally Signs Conversion Therapy Ban Into Law
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either