Sweden: Pro Soccer Star Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2011 8:30 PM ET
The son of one of Sweden's most legendary soccer players announced he is gay, making him the country's first professional soccer player to come out while still actively playing.
Anton Hysen, 20, plays for Utsiktens BK. His father, Glenn Hysen, started playing in Liverpool, England, in 1989, helping his team to its 18th league title in his first season.
"I am a footballer. And gay," Hysen said in Offside magazine, according to the Daily Mail. "If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like girls or boys."
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word