Sweden: Pro Soccer Star Comes Out
BY Michelle Garcia
March 09 2011 8:30 PM ET
The son of one of Sweden's most legendary soccer players announced he is gay, making him the country's first professional soccer player to come out while still actively playing.
Anton Hysen, 20, plays for Utsiktens BK. His father, Glenn Hysen, started playing in Liverpool, England, in 1989, helping his team to its 18th league title in his first season.
"I am a footballer. And gay," Hysen said in Offside magazine, according to the Daily Mail. "If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like girls or boys."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Welcome to Night Vale: Where Queer Is Normal and Normal Is Bizarre
- PHOTOS: What Pride Looks Like in a Still-Hesitant Serbia
- Op-ed: Why LGBT and the GOP Are Better Together