WATCH: Kirk Cameron Defends Todd Akin
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 4:50 PM ET
GOP Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin can rest easy now that Mike Seaver has his back. Conservative actor-pundit Kirk Cameron has come to the defense of Akin's controversial remarks about women and rape, during an interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien.
The Republican Party is calling for Akin to drop out of the U.S. Senate race against incumbent Claire McCaskill after saying in an interview Sunday that women were unlikely to get pregnant from rape because “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.” Cameron, however, thinks the move is unnecessary.
“He said that he misspoke and that he mis-phrased something, and he apologized,” the former Growing Pains actor says. “I’m the kind of person that believes that I would like to be evaluated by my entire career and my entire life, not two words that I would misspeak and then later apologize for. So, he’s in a tough spot.”
Watch Cameron and O'Brien discuss Akin below.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 59 min 12 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 1 hour 4 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 56 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM