WATCH: Kirk Cameron Defends Todd Akin
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 5:50 PM ET
GOP Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin can rest easy now that Mike Seaver has his back. Conservative actor-pundit Kirk Cameron has come to the defense of Akin's controversial remarks about women and rape, during an interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien.
The Republican Party is calling for Akin to drop out of the U.S. Senate race against incumbent Claire McCaskill after saying in an interview Sunday that women were unlikely to get pregnant from rape because “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.” Cameron, however, thinks the move is unnecessary.
“He said that he misspoke and that he mis-phrased something, and he apologized,” the former Growing Pains actor says. “I’m the kind of person that believes that I would like to be evaluated by my entire career and my entire life, not two words that I would misspeak and then later apologize for. So, he’s in a tough spot.”
Watch Cameron and O'Brien discuss Akin below.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 50 min 23 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 15 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM