WATCH: Kirk Cameron Defends Todd Akin
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 5:50 PM ET
GOP Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin can rest easy now that Mike Seaver has his back. Conservative actor-pundit Kirk Cameron has come to the defense of Akin's controversial remarks about women and rape, during an interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien.
The Republican Party is calling for Akin to drop out of the U.S. Senate race against incumbent Claire McCaskill after saying in an interview Sunday that women were unlikely to get pregnant from rape because “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.” Cameron, however, thinks the move is unnecessary.
“He said that he misspoke and that he mis-phrased something, and he apologized,” the former Growing Pains actor says. “I’m the kind of person that believes that I would like to be evaluated by my entire career and my entire life, not two words that I would misspeak and then later apologize for. So, he’s in a tough spot.”
Watch Cameron and O'Brien discuss Akin below.
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure