WATCH: Kirk Cameron Defends Todd Akin
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 21 2012 5:50 PM ET
GOP Missouri Senate candidate Todd Akin can rest easy now that Mike Seaver has his back. Conservative actor-pundit Kirk Cameron has come to the defense of Akin's controversial remarks about women and rape, during an interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien.
The Republican Party is calling for Akin to drop out of the U.S. Senate race against incumbent Claire McCaskill after saying in an interview Sunday that women were unlikely to get pregnant from rape because “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.” Cameron, however, thinks the move is unnecessary.
“He said that he misspoke and that he mis-phrased something, and he apologized,” the former Growing Pains actor says. “I’m the kind of person that believes that I would like to be evaluated by my entire career and my entire life, not two words that I would misspeak and then later apologize for. So, he’s in a tough spot.”
Watch Cameron and O'Brien discuss Akin below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 1 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 4 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 1 hour 31 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 1 hour 33 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 36 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 39 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 35 min ago