LGBT Antidiscrimination Bill Fails in Pocatello, Idaho
BY Jase Peeples
April 20 2013 3:16 PM ET
A proposed new ordinance designed to protect the LGBT community in Pocatello, Idaho from discrimination in housing, accommodations, and employment, was rejected on April 18.
According to the Idaho State Journal, the Pocatello City Council was deadlocked on a motion to approve the ordinance with a vote of 3-3 with Mayor Brian Blad casting the deciding vote to defeat the legislation.
The outcome of Pocatello’s vote stands in contrast to Idaho towns Boise, Moscow, and Sandpoint, which have all passed similar legislation. But even more disturbing is the suspected influence of the antigay organization Heritage Foundation, which was able to secure time in a City Council work session prior to the public hearing on the proposed LGBT nondiscrimination ordinance.
In the past, the Heritage Foundation has not only championed the Defense of Marriage Act, but also pulled out of the Conservative Political Action Conference in 2011 because the gay Republican group GOProud would be in attendance.
Nevertheless, while his ‘no’ vote defeated the proposed legislation, Blad left room for the possibility of a modified anti-discrimination ordinance in the near future. He's ordered a work session for May 9 with deputy city attorney Kirk Bybee and the council with plans to introduce a new proposal at the June 6 council meeting. “I believe we can draft an ordinance that most people can accept,”Blad said.“My main goal is to bring the community together and it's split right now.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 16 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 3 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 5 min 52 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 1 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 4 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 17 min ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 1 hour 20 min ago