WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 20 2013 6:56 PM ET
President Obama delivered the commencement address Saturday at the historically African-American Morehouse College and offered two mentions of gay and lesbian Americans in comments that were slightly extemporaneous.
In a half-hour speech that touched on themes of discrimination and shared struggle, Obama's prepared remarks included a veiled reference to gay families, reports BuzzFeed's Chris Geidner. But the president went off-script when he delivered the address, changing the intended wording slightly, but with great impact.
After extolling the importance of providing for one's family, the country's first African-American president told the graduating class of mostly black men, "That's what I'm asking all of you to do: Keep setting an example for what it means to be a man. Be the best husband to your wife, or your boyfriend, or your partner. Be the best father you can be to your children. Because nothing is more important."
While it was a subtle mention, the graduates took notice and began to murmur, prompting the president to raise a finger to quiet the crowd.
Geidner notes that Obama's remarks prepared in advance had the president challenging graduates to "be the best husband to your wife, or boyfriend to your partner, or father to your children that you can be."
Obama also drew parallels between the African-American struggle for equality and the prejudice many LGBT people still face today. Citing the "sting of discrimination" that many of the African-American graduates at Martin Luther King Jr.'s alma mater may have experienced, the president noted that sentiment was shared by "gay and lesbian Americans. … When a stranger passes judgment on their parenting skills or the love that they share."
Watch Obama's complete speech below.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM