Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 3:00 AM ET
Although normally voters decide based on the first name on a ticket, sometimes choosing the right running mate can make or break an entire presidential campaign. Just ask John McCain.
Now that Mitt Romney is the presumed Republican nominee, his team is carefully vetting its short list of running mates to determine which political figure voters will most want to see paired with the former Massachusetts governor. Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union has assembled a list of its own: possible running mates and their records on LGBT issues.
“Governor Romney’s pick might end up a heartbeat from the presidency, but they’ll be light years from civil liberties,” said Anthony D. Romero, executive director of the ACLU. “We hope Governor Romney flips his Etch-a-Sketch and picks someone who more strongly supports our constitutional values.”
Whoever is selected will debate Vice President Biden, who vocally supports marraige equality, in the fall.
We've added to the ACLU's research on the following pages. Check out the list.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model