WATCH: Dan Savage Wants Liberals To Recover 'Hijacked' Christianity
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 13 2012 8:05 PM ET
Dan Savage wants liberal Christians to speak up in their churches and speak out about supporting their LGBT friends, family members, and fellow parishioners, the columnist and LGBT activist said in a video released today.
In the latest episode of Savage's new web series, American Savage, the founder of the It Gets Better Project says he's used to fielding complaints as a columnist from Christians who take offense at his across-the-board condemnation of Christians as antigay.
"We're not all like that," Savage says he hears on a regular basis from people of faith responding to his syndicated sex advice column, Savage Love. He's heard the refrain so often that he's conjured a clever acronym to refer to liberal Christians who support LGBT equality: NALT Christians, or "Not All Like That."
"But the reason so many of us have the idea that you are, indeed, all like that, and the reason that Christian has become synonymous with antigay is because of these loud voices on the Christian right," says Savage in a featured clip of the gay activist speaking at Arizona State University. "And they've hijacked Christianity, with your complicit silence enabling their hijacking of it."
Watch the whole episode below, and catch up on the entire season of American Savage, by TakePartTV, right here. And for a bonus, watch this episode to find out the one thing Savage won't do with his butt.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels 1 hour 52 min ago
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' 2 hours 21 min ago
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 58 min ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 6:27 PM