WATCH: Bill O'Reilly Says Supporting Trans Students Is 'Truly Madness'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 28 2013 1:18 PM ET
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly launched into a transphobic tirade on Tuesday's episode of The O'Reilly Factor, responding to a Massachusetts school district policy directing educators and administrators to treat transgender students as the gender with which they identify.
Equality Matters tracked down the video, where O'Reilly says the directive is "insane," because it instructs teachers to respect a student's privacy when discussing gender identity with the student's parents. O'Reilly argues that a student's right to privacy — and arguably, the student's safety — is trumped by a parent's right to know everything their child does in school.
After hurling a series of transphobic remarks at his audience and commentators Alan Colmes and Monica Crowley, O'Reilly argues that policies affirming the gender identity of trans students without outing the students to potentially intolerant parents are "truly madness."
Watch the segment below.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Smacks Down States Resisting Marriage Equality