N.Y. Transgender Woman Dies After Brutal Beating
BY Trudy Ring
August 23 2013 12:44 PM ET
A transgender woman who was brutally beaten Saturday night in New York’s Harlem neighborhood died Thursday of her injuries.
Islan Nettles was taken off life support yesterday at Harlem Hospital, news website DNAInfo New York reports. She was 21 and an aspiring fashion designer.
Nettles and a friend, also a transgender woman, were attacked by a group of men late Saturday night. Upon learning the women were transgender, the men began punching them and using homophobic slurs, according to DNAInfo.
Police, who are investigating the attack as a bias crime, have arrested a 20-year-old man in connection with it but have not released his name. He has been charged with misdemeanor assault, but the charge is expected to be upgraded now, police said.
- Where in the World Are The Happiest Gay Men?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Clemson University Fans Tell Football Coach to Punt Antigay Fundraiser
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- Priest Dismissed by Catholic College Comes Out as Gay