For a Fiesta, Remember San Antonio
BY Trudy Ring
April 18 2013 4:00 AM ET
San Antonio is a food-lover’s paradise. On the Riverwalk, a couple of great choices are La Paloma (LaPalomaRiverwalk.com) and Boudro’s (Boudros.com); there’s a distinct Mexican flavor to the menu at both, but other influences too. A bit outside of downtown, La Gloria (LaGloriaIceHouse.com) offers delicious re-creations of Mexican street foods at the Pearl Brewery (AtPearl.com), once Texas’s largest beer brewer, now reborn as a home to trendy shops, restaurants, and a year-round farmers’ market. Also at the Pearl is a campus of the Culinary Institute of America (CIAChef.edu/Texas), where you can take a “boot camp” to learn how to make gourmet dishes and also dine at affiliated restaurants. Near the King William District is the Guenther House (pictured above; GuentherHouse.com), the former mansion of a flour-mill entrepreneur that’s now a lovely museum with a restaurant serving luscious breakfasts and fabulous bakery goods. And several restaurants offer unforgettable cocktail and dinner cruises on the river. Find a list at RioSanAntonio.com.
Home2 Suites by Hilton (Home2Suites3.Hilton.com), in a renovated 1919 building, offers comfy studios and one-bedroom suites, including cooking facilities, in San Antonio’s easily walkable downtown, just blocks from the Riverwalk, the Alamo, and other attractions. Other recommended hotels include the picturesque, historic Hotel Havana (HavanaSanAntonio.com), built in 1914 and located on the northern stretch of the Riverwalk, and the luxe Westin Riverwalk (WestinRiverwalkSanAntonio.com), overlooking the river downtown.
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 2 min 16 sec ago
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 30 min 31 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 1 hour 15 min ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM