Destinations: When in Portland
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 09 2008 12:00 AM ET
120 N.E. Russell St.; (503) 281-4464
The long wait is more than worth it for the
tapas menu bursting with intense, rapturous flavors. A
hot spot, Toro Bravo is excellent for a group, so you
can share the most dishes possible. If there are just two
of you, try sitting at the bar to jump ahead of the line.
738 E. Burnside St.; (503) 546-8796
Trucker cap-wearing enfant terrible chef Gabriel
Rucker concocts ingenious dishes built around
improbable meats like pig ear, sweetbreads and yes,
Pictures 916 N.W. Hoyt St.; (503) 227-5060
Much of the local art scene is long on
enthusiasm but short on polish. Not so here. Located
in Pearl District, Quality Pictures presents
cutting-edge group exhibitions featuring the best artists
from Portland and beyond.
Playground 23 N.W. Fifth Ave.; (503) 548-4835
An edgy selection of art books complements the
art on clothes and walls -- and it doesn't hurt that
the place is frequented by hot skaters and boarders in
search of the fresh tees and hoodies.
Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon
by Chuck Palahniuk The gay author
("Fight Club," "Choke") takes readers on a wayward
journey through his hometown.
Sidebar: A Portland Pint
There are 32 microbreweries within Portland's
city limits -- more than in any other city in the
world -- and most have brewpubs on the premises.
Portland Pub (1339 N.W. Flanders; 503-222-5910) serves up
the zingy Juniper Pale Ale, the creamy Morimato Soba
and the decadent Chocolate Stout.
(832 N. Beech St.; 503-281-7708) offers a traditional
outdoor German-style beer garden popular with foodie and gay
fine beers, but its real innovation is combining two of
America's favorite pastimes -- drinking beer and watching
movies -- at eight theater-pub locations around the
city. The Mission Theater (1624 N.W. Glisan;
503-223-4527) and Baghdad Theater and Pub (3702 S.E.
Hawthorne Blvd.; 503-236-9234) have the most diverse crowd
and are very friendly.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Women | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM