Artist Spotlight: Rowan Mersh
BY Christopher Harrity
September 03 2011 3:00 AM ET
Fundamentally, tumors are caused by an accumulation of mutations within the DNA of cells that lead to their uncontrolled division and subsequently the abnormal growth of tissue. Series 2 was primarily derived from notions of such cell mutations. Items such as defaced coins, CDs containing corrupted data, and irreparably scratched vinyls were encompassed within fabric. My resulting desire was such that the sculptures themselves appear as an integral part of the female form, irreparably distorting the physical appearance; as External Tumours their application to the body seamless, as if they were bound, grown, and shaped by time.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Book Excerpt: Richard Blanco's First 'San Giving'