Artist Spotlight: Rowan Mersh
BY Christopher Harrity
September 03 2011 4:00 AM ET
Fundamentally, tumors are caused by an accumulation of mutations within the DNA of cells that lead to their uncontrolled division and subsequently the abnormal growth of tissue. Series 2 was primarily derived from notions of such cell mutations. Items such as defaced coins, CDs containing corrupted data, and irreparably scratched vinyls were encompassed within fabric. My resulting desire was such that the sculptures themselves appear as an integral part of the female form, irreparably distorting the physical appearance; as External Tumours their application to the body seamless, as if they were bound, grown, and shaped by time.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More More Racist Than Antigay?
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star