Artist Spotlight: Rowan Mersh
BY Christopher Harrity
September 03 2011 4:00 AM ET
Fundamentally, tumors are caused by an accumulation of mutations within the DNA of cells that lead to their uncontrolled division and subsequently the abnormal growth of tissue. Series 2 was primarily derived from notions of such cell mutations. Items such as defaced coins, CDs containing corrupted data, and irreparably scratched vinyls were encompassed within fabric. My resulting desire was such that the sculptures themselves appear as an integral part of the female form, irreparably distorting the physical appearance; as External Tumours their application to the body seamless, as if they were bound, grown, and shaped by time.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Artist Spotlight: Chris von Steiner
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- Prominent Queer Korean, Chicana Leader Killed in Her Atlanta Home
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'