Artist Spotlight: Michael Petry
BY Christopher Harrity
March 17 2012 2:00 AM ET
Opening today at the Palm Springs Art Museum is "The Touch of the Oracle," featuring three monumental site-specific installations – Golden Rain, Joshua D’s Wall, and The Dilemma. These artworks provide an opportunity for audiences to experience the work of this installation-based conceptual artist that draws inspiration from art history, mythology, and contemporary culture. The distinct pieces relate and interact with each other and the visitors to the gallery creating an ambiance of sound and visual complexity.
While Michael Petry is not traditionally associated with the studio glass movement, his creative sensibilities are stimulated by the medium of glass in monumental works. Unlike studio glass artists, Petry does not actually create his individual art objects, but seeks out highly skilled craftspeople with whom he collaborates to animate his conceptual ideas. For these installations, he has worked with an inspired team of glass blowers to create works that require a high level of technical expertise.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 13 min 17 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 36 min 50 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 1 hour 57 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 2 hours 16 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 2 hours 22 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 2 hours 38 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 48 min ago