Coming Back to America
BY William Georgiades
April 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
It’s also the book that led him to his husband. When the collection of stories was published in England in 2006, McIntyre flew over to promote it. One evening at a nightclub he bumped into a man named Tristan, leading to what McIntyre fondly recalls as “a tawdry introduction.” Last year, after Florent closed, he and Le Masson Bangard were married in Palm Springs, Calif. A summer-long celebration ensued, then the couple moved to Le Masson Bangard’s London home.
“I live here because federal law won’t allow my husband to live in the U.S.,” McIntyre says with a little bite. “In England we are treated like regular spouses, which is what we are. The way the U.K. sees it, this is a civil partnership. It is very civilized, and it just makes sense.”
As for the glamour of their relationship -- those names alone -- McIntyre says, “It does sound pretty good. But in reality we’re sitting there watching Battlestar Galactica in our underwear.”
His life in England sounds pretty ideal too. “When I lived in New York, I’d have to go away to write, but here it’s a lot quieter -- I live in a house with my husband instead of in a 300-square-foot apartment on the Lower East Side. I have a writing room that overlooks a garden and a 15th-century chapel right across the street.” He smiles at the improbability of it all.
Even his job at the chain bookshop has its perks. His collection of short stories is available at the counter, and he enjoys his colleagues’ company. “I work with these 18-year-olds, and they got me to read Twilight,” he says, laughing. “I only enjoyed it to the point that I could talk with them about it like a high school girl would.”
And is he ready for some degree of attention, or even literary fame? “I’m totally ready!” he declares. “I still don’t quite believe that the book’s finally getting out there. But I would be completely thrilled if it was a success, but I’m not crazy about working these day jobs.”
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- Rising Above the Down Low
- UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler
- WATCH: Trailer for Liberace Film, 'Behind The Candelabra'
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM