Books for Young LGBT Folks and Anyone Who Wants to Understand Them
BY Clea Kim
January 31 2013 4:00 AM ET UPDATED: September 24 2014 1:24 PM ET
Endangered by Eliot Schrefer (Scholastic, $17.99)
If you’ve always felt a deep connection with animals, this book is for you. Author Eliot Schrefer writes a story based on his experience at a bonobo sanctuary in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where he conducted extensive research on bonobos and their culture. This novel is about 15-year-old Sophie, who follows her mother to a bonobo sanctuary. Sophie is not excited to be there, since this is her mother’s passion and not her own. She then meets Otto, an infant bonobo, and for the first time in her life feels a special connection with an animal. As things progress between Sophie and Otto, a revolution breaks out and their sanctuary is attacked. They must escape to the jungle and struggle to survive.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'