Two Men and a Myth
BY Mark Thompson
October 22 2008 12:00 AM ET
I knew David B. Goodstein and Harvey Milk pretty well. I met Harvey in 1973, not long after he opened his little camera shop on Castro Street. He was charming, smart, and wildly ambitious, and I liked him at once. Just about everybody did. An uppity New Yorker, Harvey was part of the mass immigration of gay people to San Francisco at that time, a growing trend that would upset tidy apple carts all over town.
I met David two years later when he hired me to work for The Advocate right after I graduated from San Francisco State University. I was 23 years old, and David had just purchased the magazine from the original owner, Dick Michaels. He too was charming, smart, and wildly ambitious, and I liked him too. But the two men were destined to clash.
David had a mansion in the gated community of Hillsborough. He collected art and expensive show horses. Harvey had to buy a used suit to campaign in, wasn’t always sure about how he would pay the rent, and enjoyed kinky sex. In other words, there were in different worlds. What both men shared, however, aside from a robust sense of humor, was a need to contribute to the gay community.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 39 min 5 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 23 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 41 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 54 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 2 hours 15 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 34 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 41 min ago