Richard Gere Accepted American Gigolo Role Because of Gay Subtext
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 01 2012 1:55 PM ET
Richard Gere says he accepted the part of a high-paid hustler in the 1980 drama American Gigolo partly because of the gay subtext in the film.
During an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the 63-year-old actor reflects on some of his best-known films. Among then is the stylish 1980 thriller which made a superstar not only of Gere but also fashion designer Giorgio Armani, who supplied much of the clothing worn by the actor. EW's Dave Karger notes that John Travolta dropped out of the role of Julian, and Gere stepped in just two weeks before filming began. "The role, with its surprising full-frontal nudity, made Gere an instant sensation," writes Karger.
Gere recalls how he decided to take the role with which he would become synonymous during the early 1980s. "Paul came to see me in Malibu and said, 'You've got to say yes to this by tomorrow at the latest.' I read it and I thought, 'This is a character I don't know very well. I don't own a suit. He speaks languages; I don't speak any languages. There's kind of a gay thing that's flirting through it and I didn't know the gay community at all.' I wanted to immerse myself in all of that and I had literally two weeks. So I just dove in. If I recall, [the nudity] wasn't in the script. It was just in the natural process of making the movie. I certainly felt vulnerable, but I think it's different for men than women."
Gere would appear on Broadway in the gay-themed concentration camp drama Bent the same year Gigolo was released.
Watch the trailer for American Gigolo below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM