Hot Sheet: Kevin Spacey, the Baths, and Gay Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2013 10:04 AM ET
TELEVISION: Varla Jean and the Mushroomheads on Here TV
It’s campy, it’s witty, it’s fabulous! The feature-length film Varla and the Mushroomheads is a guaranteed laugh-out-loud experience. After years of performing in dive bars and bathhouses around New Orleans, semicelebrity and loose chanteuse Varla Jean Merman decides to make a career move by creating her own kids’ show. Along the way, she runs into the likes of Emmy nominee Donna Drake and famed music mirector Seth Rudetsky to create a hilarious comedy full of zany characters and unexpected situations. The film stars Jeffery Roberson as Varla Jean and was directed by Michael Schiralli in the latest of their many Varla Jean collaborations. Roberson has taken his famous alter ego around the country and national television on such shows as Project Runway. With the timing of Dame Edna and the silliness of Carol Burnett, he delivers such candid comedy that only legends can boast of. Varla Jean and the Mushroomheads premieres today only on Here TV. Also premiering on Here TV are the 30-minute comedy Half Share and the new series The Gayest Show Ever.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Reality Special My Husband’s Not Gay: Deep in Denial?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Op-ed: Trans Glamour Versus Trans Activism
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment