Hot Sheet: Really Scary Mommies
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 18 2013 1:53 PM ET
9. THEATER: Trial of Joseph McCarthy
Sen. Joseph McCarthy, known for hunting supposed Communists and others he sees as a threat, and two colleagues go on trial for criminal conspiracy and blackmail charges in the death of Sen. Lester Hunt, who killed himself in 1954 after his son was arrested on suspicion of soliciting sex from an undercover policeman. Think you’ve climbed into a time machine? Actually, this is alternative history presented as theater by the Mattachine Society of Washington, D.C., which has revived the name of that historical gay rights group and undertaken a mission of “archive activism,” telling the unknown stories of LGBT Americans. Hunt really did commit suicide after his son’s arrest, but McCarthy never paid for his complicity in the matter. The mock trial, Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. at All Souls Church Unitarian in the nation’s capital, will be introduced by former U.S. senator Alan Simpson and will feature several other political and media luminaries, including lawyer and activist Mindy Daniels, former Barney Frank aide Robert Raben, journalist Jamie Kirchick (whose work has appeared in The Advocate), and, as McCarthy, lobbyist Ed Senn. Admission is free; more info here. — Trudy Ring
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Which Downton Abbey Man Should You Marry?