Hot Sheet: Lutz for Life
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 09 2014 9:27 PM ET
6. EVENT: "Heavy and Light," featuring Mary Lambert, at House of Blues L.A.
The nonprofit organization To Write Love on Her Arms aims to provide support and solidarity for those struggling with self-harm, addiction, thoughts of suicide, and depression. It's a heavy topic that the group hopes to shed light on, letting people young and old know that it's OK to ask for help. In an inspirational evening that has become the group's flagship event, "Heavy and Light" is a mix of songs, conversation, and hope, featuring acoustic performances from Jon Foreman of Switchfoot, the Summer Set, Tristan Prettyman, and Grammy-nominated artist Mary Lambert. Although she's best known for providing the haunting chorus of Macklemore's marriage equality anthem "Same Love," Lambert's forthcoming debut album reveals the out artist has some serious spoken-word skills, which she's likely to put on display alongside award-winning slam poet Anis Mojgani at Saturday's "Heavy and Light" performance, at the Los Angeles House of Blues Sunset Strip, starting at 7 p.m. Tickets are available here for the Los Angeles event, and here for the complementary East Coast show, to be held at Orlando's House of Blues Saturday, January 19. — Sunnivie Brydum
- BREAKING: Kentucky Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Denies Same-Sex Couples Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: That Other Defiant Kentucky Clerk Named Davis Invokes 'Higher Power'
- Why Are We Gay?
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple