Hot Sheet: The Passion of Joe Orton
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 30 2014 4:05 PM ET
8. DVD: Cutie and the Boxer
Directed by Zachary Heizerling, Cutie and the Boxer is a compelling documentary on love and aging that was shortlisted for the Academy Awards. The film portrays the marriage of artists Noriko, 59, and Ushio, 80, who married 40 years ago, an act that put the professional life of then-19-year-old Noriko on hold at the time of their vows. Decades later, she is finally finding her own voice as an artist through a series of drawings titled “Cutie and Bullie,” which depict her oft-tumultuous relationship with her older husband. Ushio, meanwhile, is embarking on his own series of paintings, which he crafts with an unlikely technique — a rain of punches from boxing gloves. Cutie and the Boxer is released Tuesday on Blu-ray and DVD. A streaming version is currently available to rent or buy on Amazon.com. Watch the trailer below, or purchase from Amazon. — Daniel Reynolds
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Newly Out Fox Contributor Isn't Very Concerned About Gay Rights
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- WATCH: Can the GOP Presidential Field Get Any More Antigay?
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- The Films of the 26th Annual Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival