Hot Sheet: And the Winner Is ...
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 28 2014 7:07 PM ET
2. OPERA: Billy Budd
Los Angeles Opera revives the operatic adaptation of Herman Melville’s novel, a work rich in gay subtext, as the young, beautiful Billy becomes an object of desire for many of his fellow sailors. The gay geniuses who brought this story to the realm of opera in 1951, composer Benjamin Britten and co-librettist E.M. Forster (yes, the famed novelist), teased out that subtext even more. The L.A. Opera production has a very limited run; there are just five performances left, the next on Sunday, the last March 16, so order your tickets now. Watch a preview below. — Trudy Ring
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men