Hot Sheet: And the Winner Is ...
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 28 2014 7:07 PM ET
2. OPERA: Billy Budd
Los Angeles Opera revives the operatic adaptation of Herman Melville’s novel, a work rich in gay subtext, as the young, beautiful Billy becomes an object of desire for many of his fellow sailors. The gay geniuses who brought this story to the realm of opera in 1951, composer Benjamin Britten and co-librettist E.M. Forster (yes, the famed novelist), teased out that subtext even more. The L.A. Opera production has a very limited run; there are just five performances left, the next on Sunday, the last March 16, so order your tickets now. Watch a preview below. — Trudy Ring
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- Trans Woman Who Expanded Facebook's Gender Options Banned For Not Using 'Real Name'
- The World Is Finally Ready For the Lost Recordings of '70s Gay Rockers Smokey
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years