BY Christopher Mangum
March 04 2010 8:10 AM ET
You may not know Ke$ha’s face or how to pronounce her name (Keh-sha), but her monster hit “Tik Tok” has proved to be an unavoidable presence on the radio and dance floor. Before hitting the road with Sarah McLachlan and Cat Power in the revival of Lilith Fair, the vivacious 22-year-old will be making her way to Palm Springs, Calif., for both Dinah Shore Weekend and the White Party to showcase her distinctive style of pop. Open to making out with men, women, or androgynous types like Adam Lambert, Ke$ha talks with The Advocate about her sexuality, the inspiration she receives from transgender people, and her fantasy of getting Sarah Palin to join her and Shakira for an all-girl sleepover.
The Advocate: I heard a rumor you read The Advocate.
Ke$ha: I do.
What draws you to the gay community?
I just think that gay men have much better taste than any straight man I have met. I have never gotten any grief about having a good time, being unapologetic, and irreverent from a gay man. And let’s be honest, sometimes I wish I was a gay man.
Trust me, it only looks greener on the other side. Beyond just gay men, you have a particular interest in the transgender community. Your not-yet-released music video for “Backstabber” was cast almost entirely with transgender people.
I am a huge fan of the transgender community. I am so not a proper, good female. I can’t dance in high heels and I’m just so not girly, but then I see these men with these banging bodies, dancing in heels, singing, and having so much fun with so much makeup on. That makes me honestly want to be a better woman. It is so fascinating that someone can commit their whole entire lifestyle to being such a fantastic woman when I’m such a bum about it.
How would you describe your sexuality?
I just want to have fun. I think across the board, with my music, my style, my makeup, and my sexuality in life, I don’t think it should be taken so seriously. The reason my record is called Animal is because I am an animal, we all are, and we have crazy instincts that maybe aren’t quote-unquote right or socially acceptable, but fuck that. I think people should give in to what they feel like doing at the time and be a raw animal.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 26 min 55 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 34 min 29 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 15 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 12 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 26 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 44 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 2 hours 57 min ago