The Sweetest Thing
BY Neal Broverman
January 13 2011 5:55 PM ET
On Atlanta, more than any other Real Housewives incarnation, there are many over-the-top, fashion-forward, domineering gay characters. Is this is an Atlanta thing or simply a coincidence?
That’s so funny that you say that — I’m sitting at Derek J.’s shop right now (laughs). I knew Derek before I got on the show. Derek is the reason I’m on it — he told the producers to call me. Derek knows everybody, so does Lawrence. They’re very popular. The gay community is very, very big in Atlanta. So, it’s no big deal to go in the mall and see guys walking with high-heels that are not totally dressed in drag. Of course, you have the people who do drag, but these people are not drag. I don’t know what you call it—when you’re not shaving your beard, but you still wear high-heels.
I’ve been told it must be an Atlanta thing. I’ve met people who are gay that came to Atlanta that were surprised how open everybody is. Every girl does want the “gay boyfriend” that they can hang out with and talk crazy with and learn new tricks from. I know I like to ask questions and learn tricks.
When you had your Housewives co-stars on your radio show, Kandi Koated Nights, to talk sex, they were very bashful. I imagine your gay friends would have been more forthcoming.
The girls are trying to put on for television. That’s my honest opinion. I don’t understand how [Zolciak] can say, “You can’t believe I would say those things and talk about sex” but yet you stripped in a club before! And now you want to be pretend to be all goody-goody! It doesn’t make sense. I’m not saying everybody should want to talk about their sex life — if you don’t, that’s cool. But don’t look at me like I’m crazy when we know your history.
Your mom — a fan favorite — seems to be very cool with sex talk. Did she instill in you that sex isn't shameful?
The funny thing is my mother didn’t teach me that. As a kid, all girls go through that face where they and their mom bump heads and you start doing things you’re not supposed to be doing. My brother passed away in high school, and that brought my mother together and made us so close. So, I can talk to my mom about anything, but she’s not going to like everything I say. She can get a little judgmental at times, but she doesn’t try to knock me for talking about sex. You should have a relationship with your parents where you can state your opinion, regardless of whether they agree.
Your mother gained a lot of fans this season because she was so sweet, especially to Nene. Maybe she’ll get her own spin-off.
She should! My mother’s the youngest of 14 kids, and she grew up in a family that was very open about my uncle, who'd one day be in drag and the next, dressed as a boy. From the time I was a little kid, it was never taboo. My uncle used to bring his “friend,” and at baby showers, birthday parties, we always had strippers. So, it’s not just my mom, it’s that whole side of the family that’s very open.
As someone who’s such an integral part of the Atlanta scene, you must have encountered at least one of Tyler Perry’s ex-girlfriends.
Hmmm. I don’t know any of them. I’ve seen him out, but I don’t know him. What does that mean?! Uh-oh! You’re trying to get me in some mess.
That was a good evasive answer.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM