Mo’Nique: Just Doing What’s Right
BY Winston Gieseke
May 13 2011 8:00 AM ET
My only knowledge of gay people in Atlanta comes from the Real Housewives. Do you watch that show?
Sometimes I’ll catch it.
There’s Dwight, NeNe’s gay boyfriend.
Yes, honey! Yes, I love him!
Have you gotten any negative response from the African-American community because of your gay-friendliness?
Not at all. And if they've been negative, I haven’t heard anything about it. Not at all.
I have to ask: Is this "down-low" phenomenon real? Or just something people talk about?
I think we would be very foolish to ignore it. I think it’s real — on both ends, with men and with women. Because we live in a society where people cannot be free to be who they were made to be. So, we’ll hide and we’ll stay in the closet and we’ll go through life with this grand secret because we’re just afraid of what the next person may think. My husband said to me one time, “Something that puzzles me about people is: If God gave us free will, why do we let man just take it away?”
What’s your answer to that?
You don’t let man take it away. You be who you were made to be. I don’t believe the universe has made one mistake. Everything is supposed to be the way that it is. I believe in that.
Have you seen RuPaul’s Drag Race and Stacy Layne Matthews’ impersonation of you in Precious?
Oh my goodness, no! I have not seen that. But I have seen a gentleman here in Atlanta named Ivy who did Mo’Nique from The Queens of Comedy and also Mary Jones from Precious. He was amazing. I went to see him with my best friend from the 6th grade. And as we were leaving, she said, “Wow, Mo’Nique, when they impersonate people, they only impersonate big stars.” And then she stopped and looked at me and said, “I guess you’re a big star!” And we both were just screaming and hollering. Because in my opinion, that’s one of the biggest honors you can receive, when somebody has taken out the time to study you. That’s such an honor.
How has your life changed since you won the Academy Award?
You know, I get asked that question all the time...
I’m sorry for asking you such a tired question…
[Laughs] Not at all, baby! But the best way I can answer that? My life was absolutely amazing before I got that award, and my life continued to be amazing after that award. It allowed me to say to the universe, “Wow, dreams do come true. Thank you once again.”
What’s the next thing you want to accomplish?
Tomorrow. If I start telling you about five years from now or ten years, I think the universe will say, “Really? You think you have control over that?” But today is amazing because I’m able to be in it. And if I can get to tomorrow, I’m grateful.
Is there anything special you’re going to say tomorrow at the HRC event?
I love you. That’s as special as it gets. [Laughs]
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 16 min 58 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 37 min 4 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM