Divinyls Singer Chrissy Amphlett Dead at 53
BY Jase Peeples
April 22 2013 11:20 AM ET
Divinyls front woman Chrissy Amphlett, best known for the Australian band’s 1991 hit “I Touch Myself,” died Sunday at her home in New York after suffering from both multiple sclerosis and breast cancer.
Reuters reports that her husband, and Divinyls drummer Charley Drayton, said the singer died in her sleep surrounded by loved ones.
"Chrissy's light burns so very brightly," Drayton said in a statement posted on the Australian Recording Industry Association's website."Hers was a life of passion and creativity; she always lived it to the fullest. With her force of character and vocal strength she paved the way for strong, sexy, outspoken women."
As a teen, Amphlett moved to Europe, where she was arrested for singing on the street before moving back to Australia, where she formed the Divinyls with guitarist Mark McEntee in 1980.
During their time together, the Divinyls recorded five albums between 1982 and 1986. The band’s biggest hit, “I Touch Myself,” was a hit in Australia and Britain, and reached number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.
Last month Amphlett was named as one of Australia's top 10 singers of all time.
"Chrissy expressed hope that her worldwide hit "I Touch Myself" would be utilized to remind all women to perform annual breast examinations," said Drayton.
In addition to singing, Amphlett also worked as an actress and starred alongside Russell Crowe in the 1988 musical Blood Brothers. Crowe tweeted about her passing, writing, "Dear Chrissie [sic], The last time I saw you was in the Botanic Gardens, loving life and reciting verse. That's how I'll remember you, your boy, R."
Dear Chrissie, The last time I saw you was in the Botanic Gardens, loving life and reciting verse. That's how I'll remember you, your boy, R
— Russell Crowe (@russellcrowe) April 22, 2013
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM