20 LGBT Couples Who Have Been in Love More Than a Decade
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 09 2014 8:00 AM ET
"We're committed even though we're not recognized," says Ruth. "I've worked over the years to say we're just as legitimate as my six siblings who were married in the Catholic Church and are acknowledged. To find somebody in your life that you can share a relationship with and keep it going with is probably one of the most sacred things that can happen. And I think it's a unique thing and it's a lot of work. We are committed to the relationship. I know a lot of folks who have walked away from long-term relationships for no other reason than they just were not committed."
"When I think back to the time of being with her," Sandra says. "I think that I am one of the luckiest girls in the world. Some people don't get a little glimmer of what I had, and I had it for 23 years and we never lost the magic. We really didn't. We were totally in love. I think we were more in love every year were together."
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'