BY Brandon Voss
December 21 2010 8:10 PM ET
A former TV heartthrob beloved for the 1960s series Dr. Kildare and the 1983 miniseries The Thorn Birds — though perhaps better known to younger gay viewers for his post-millennial guest spots on Nip/Tuck, Desperate Housewives, and Will & Grace — Richard Chamberlain officially came out in 2003 with the release of his memoir, Shattered Love. Now 76 and playing an HIV-positive love interest for Ron Rifkin’s Uncle Saul on ABC’s Brothers & Sisters, which returns January 2 after a holiday hiatus, Chamberlain explains why other gay leading men would be unwise to follow in his footsteps.
The Advocate:Your last chat with The Advocate was in January 2004, so it’s good to catch up. You did a ton of other press around that time to promote your tell-all memoir, but you know that a celebrity’s coming-out isn’t really official until they’ve spoken to The Advocate.
Richard Chamberlain: [Laughs] That’s right. Absolutely.
Congratulations on your new role on Brothers & Sisters. Were you a fan of the show before you got the part?
I liked the show a lot, but I hadn’t watched as regularly as I do since I got the job. It’s an incredible show. What an unbelievable cast! Ron Rifkin is an actor of astounding ability. He’s so good that when I play a scene with him, I find that I almost get distracted just watching the wonderful things that he’s doing. We had mutual friends, but we hadn’t met before this. We’ve been getting along extremely well.
Tell me about your character, Jonathan.
My character met Ron’s character, Saul, back in the ’80s. Saul was a serious kind of guy, but Jonathan was a heartbreaking playboy at that time. As revealed in my first episode, Jonathan may have been the one who gave Saul HIV in the ’80s, though Jonathan didn’t even remember that they had slept together. Saul isn’t at all happy about seeing me again. That’s about as much as has been revealed on the show so far, and I’m told that I mustn’t reveal anything else.
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 9 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM