WATCH: First Episode of The New Normal
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 29 2012 11:48 AM ET
The New Normal, a comedy about two gay men (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells) who decide to have a child through a surrogate mother, is now available for viewing online.
Rannells stars as Bryan and Justin Bartha plays David, a well-heeled gay couple preparing to have a child with the help of a sweet surrogate (Georgia King), despite the objections of her comically bigoted grandmother, played with great zest by Ellen Barkin. The two gay dads scenario of the series not only taps into the cultural zeitgeist, it comes with an impeccable pedigree. It was conceived and developed by Emmy Award–winning hit-maker Ryan Murphy, on a long winning streak after Nip/Tuck, Glee, and American Horror Story, and Glee writer Allison Adler, and it costars The Real Housewives of Atlanta’s breakout star, NeNe Leakes, as the unrestrained assistant to Rannells’s character.
While the sitcom will officially premiere on NBC September 11, it has already come under fire from conservative groups such as One Million Moms due to its subject matter. Last weekend Salt Lake City TV station KSL announced it won’t air the series, deeeming it “inappropriate” for the Mormon Church–owned affiliate.
In a recent interview with The Advocate, Rannells expressed his hope that viewers will respond to the show’s timely message.
“Gay or straight, the family dynamic has very much changed based on who’s around to raise the kid,” he said. “Because of divorce or financial reasons there are all sorts of people who have to pitch in to help raise kids.”
Watch the entire first episode below.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM