The World’s a Stage
BY Wenzel Jones
April 22 2010 5:35 AM ET
I guess what I’ve learned is my biggest fear is that musically I’m of a certain generation and I’m not sure whether to pander to the younger generation.
What do you think the median age of the audience is?
Sixty. These audiences, when they die off, I don’t see anybody replacing them.
What was the show for you where you’ve said, "I’ve lost touch with musical theater"?
Cats. I can’t bear that show. Musically, I don’t like Rent. I thought it was silly. But I loved Next to Normal. I was completely gone over that musical. I loved Spring Awakening. Absolutely flipped for it. I guess if you tell your story right, I like it.
Is there anything that needs to be said about your experience with STAGE?
In giving, we all give to the charity. That’s our donation, is our talent. But I have to say in return, for the actor, some of them are cast in Broadway shows from the benefit. I know it seems such a strange thing to say, a good turn comes back, it’s multiplied for you. I don’t know if that makes any sense. Betty Garrett got Meet Me in St. Louis [when] the casting director called for an archival tape and I sent it. It’s given back a hundredfold for people that have been seen in a song or something they normally wouldn’t be cast in. That’s all out of trying to do a good thing.
For more information or to order tickets, go to APLA.org or STAGELA.com.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 20 min 14 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 22 min 4 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 23 min 48 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 1 hour 24 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 1 hour 29 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 2 hours 15 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 2 hours 21 min ago