Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2011
BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
One Night With Fanny Brice
In gay writer-director Chip Deffaa’s enjoyably educational one-woman musical, the engaging Kimberly Faye Greenberg channels legendary Ziegfeld Follies singer-comedian Fanny Brice. Backed by a tiny live band on signature ditties like “My Man” and “Second Hand Rose,” this friendly ghost knows about Barbra Streisand’s Funny Girl but shares juicy details the film overlooked — like her hanging out with artistic gays on Fire Island.
St. Luke’s Theatre, open-ended.
In MTC’s faultless staging of this new play by Rabbit Hole’s David Lindsay-Abaire, Frances McDormand mesmerizes as Margie, a Southie woman who reconnects with an old beau — The O.C.’s Tate Donovan — who moved on up from their blue-collar Boston hood. Estelle Parsons and Becky Ann Baker are riots as Margie’s pals, and a fine Patrick Carroll is Margie’s milquetoast ex-boss, whom everyone labels as gay for loving bingo.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through May 29.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 21 min 16 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 21 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM