Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March 2011
BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
One Night With Fanny Brice
In gay writer-director Chip Deffaa’s enjoyably educational one-woman musical, the engaging Kimberly Faye Greenberg channels legendary Ziegfeld Follies singer-comedian Fanny Brice. Backed by a tiny live band on signature ditties like “My Man” and “Second Hand Rose,” this friendly ghost knows about Barbra Streisand’s Funny Girl but shares juicy details the film overlooked — like her hanging out with artistic gays on Fire Island.
St. Luke’s Theatre, open-ended.
In MTC’s faultless staging of this new play by Rabbit Hole’s David Lindsay-Abaire, Frances McDormand mesmerizes as Margie, a Southie woman who reconnects with an old beau — The O.C.’s Tate Donovan — who moved on up from their blue-collar Boston hood. Estelle Parsons and Becky Ann Baker are riots as Margie’s pals, and a fine Patrick Carroll is Margie’s milquetoast ex-boss, whom everyone labels as gay for loving bingo.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through May 29.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 18 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 55 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM