Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2012
BY Brandon Voss
October 30 2012 8:00 AM ET
Wild With Happy
The Big Gay Sketch Show alum Colman Domingo shines as both playwright and star of this very funny and fanciful semi-autobiographical story of loss. Domingo’s a hoot as prickly, guilt-ridden Gil, a struggling gay actor who, coping with the death of his mother, winds up on an ultimately sentimental road trip to Disney World with his flirty funeral director, his outrageously animated aunt Glo, and a scene-stealing Maurice McRae as his flamboyant best friend.
Public Theater, through November 11.
In the Summer Pavilion
In Paul David Young’s ambitious and haunting drama, recent Princeton grads — one woman and two seemingly bisexual men — drop acid and hallucinate multiple futures for their sexually fluid trio, including every romantic pairing imaginable. With scruffy looks like an American Apparel underwear model, Ryan Barry is a standout as Ben, who seems happiest, albeit only briefly, in a gay relationship with Meena Dimian’s closeted Middle Eastern heir.
59E59 Theaters, through November 3.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- Patrick Stewart: 'Supporting Gay Rights Is Natural'
- Chris Christie Lauded at Summit for Vetoing Same-Sex Marriage Bill