Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2012
BY Brandon Voss
October 30 2012 9:00 AM ET
Wild With Happy
The Big Gay Sketch Show alum Colman Domingo shines as both playwright and star of this very funny and fanciful semi-autobiographical story of loss. Domingo’s a hoot as prickly, guilt-ridden Gil, a struggling gay actor who, coping with the death of his mother, winds up on an ultimately sentimental road trip to Disney World with his flirty funeral director, his outrageously animated aunt Glo, and a scene-stealing Maurice McRae as his flamboyant best friend.
Public Theater, through November 11.
In the Summer Pavilion
In Paul David Young’s ambitious and haunting drama, recent Princeton grads — one woman and two seemingly bisexual men — drop acid and hallucinate multiple futures for their sexually fluid trio, including every romantic pairing imaginable. With scruffy looks like an American Apparel underwear model, Ryan Barry is a standout as Ben, who seems happiest, albeit only briefly, in a gay relationship with Meena Dimian’s closeted Middle Eastern heir.
59E59 Theaters, through November 3.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 5 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 9 min 50 sec ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 26 min 2 sec ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 58 min 22 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 1 hour 30 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 2 hours 27 min ago