Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2012
BY Brandon Voss
October 30 2012 9:00 AM ET
Wild With Happy
The Big Gay Sketch Show alum Colman Domingo shines as both playwright and star of this very funny and fanciful semi-autobiographical story of loss. Domingo’s a hoot as prickly, guilt-ridden Gil, a struggling gay actor who, coping with the death of his mother, winds up on an ultimately sentimental road trip to Disney World with his flirty funeral director, his outrageously animated aunt Glo, and a scene-stealing Maurice McRae as his flamboyant best friend.
Public Theater, through November 11.
In the Summer Pavilion
In Paul David Young’s ambitious and haunting drama, recent Princeton grads — one woman and two seemingly bisexual men — drop acid and hallucinate multiple futures for their sexually fluid trio, including every romantic pairing imaginable. With scruffy looks like an American Apparel underwear model, Ryan Barry is a standout as Ben, who seems happiest, albeit only briefly, in a gay relationship with Meena Dimian’s closeted Middle Eastern heir.
59E59 Theaters, through November 3.
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 1 hour 27 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 1 hour 33 min ago
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 1 hour 56 min ago
- Commentary What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 2 hours 40 min ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM