Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for November 2012
BY Brandon Voss
October 30 2012 8:00 AM ET
At the racially and religiously diverse Manhattan dinner party thrown in Ayad Akhtar’s smart, snappy drama, the claws come out before the fennel salad is finished. Leading this exceptionally strong cast with a powerful performance that will startle and impress fans who know him only from The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, Aasif Mandvi plays an ambitious Pakistani-American lawyer unhealthily distancing himself from his cultural roots with disastrous results.
Claire Tow Theater, through December 2.
Faith and reason clash in this tense, taut little thriller by Dirty Sexy Money creator Craig Wright. Starting with the literal bang of a murder-suicide, this beautifully acted black comedy eerily backtracks to reveal how a likable evangelical Christian like Steve (Paul Rudd) could become so dangerously unhinged while his wife comforts a disfigured neighbor (Michael Shannon). Ed Asner is also a treat as an exterminator and Holocaust survivor.
Cort Theatre, through January 6.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Kids React to Same-Sex Marriage Proposals
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM