Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for February 2013
BY Brandon Voss
February 05 2013 10:00 AM ET
Manilow on Broadway
Bouncing back from the flu, Barry Manilow returns to Broadway for the first time in more than two decades. Sure, the legendary singer-songwriter sometimes sounds like he's in a tin-lined public restroom, his banterâ€™s overly complacent â€” â€śI was the Justin Bieber of the '70s!â€ť â€” and the projections are as cheesy as his velvet jacket is magenta, but he still effortlessly moistens his Fanilows with timeless hits that, to be fair, are worthy of self-congratulation.
St. James Theatre, through March 2.
The Other Placeâ€¨
There are many plays in which a strong female deteriorates before our eyes, but that theme has rarely proven so affecting as in Sharr White's taut and terrifying new drama. Helmed by omnipresent out director Joe Mantello, MTC's flawless mounting is a must-see for the fierce, fearless performance by Roseanneâ€™s Laurie Metcalf as a guilt-ridden pharmaceutical rep who may be hallucinating her runaway daughter due to what she believes is brain cancer.
Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, through March 3.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM