Whirlpool Corporation: Invested in Diversity
BY Advocate Contributors
September 17 2012 4:00 AM ET
Whirlpool Corporation’s American roots run deep. With more than 22,000 US employees and a century of leadership in the appliance industry, the company has a strong sense of American Pride in its workers, in its consumers, and in the communities where it operates. This sense of American Pride is rooted in celebrating diversity — one of the company’s core values. These core values form the foundation for every interaction for its employees and the development of every policy.
Whirlpool Corporation policies include domestic partner benefits and workplace diversity trainings, but the company realizes that policies alone aren’t enough to ensure equality. At both the state and federal levels of government, Whirlpool Corporation has supported non-discrimination laws and equal benefits for LGBT individuals. Closer to home, in St. Joseph and Benton Harbor, MI, the company sponsored golf outings and celebrity chef fund- raisers in support of the local LGBT resource center, the OutCenter.
Whirlpool Corporation also sup- ports national LGBT organizations such as Out & Equal and PFLAG (Parents, Friends, and Families of Lesbians and Gays) through sponsorship, product donations and training partnerships.
Because of its continued commitment to equality, Whirlpool Corporation is known as a great workplace for LGBT employees. The in-house PRIDE Network provides professional development, leadership and volunteer opportunities for the company’s employees; celebrates June Pride Month and October Coming Out Month; and sponsors the annual student-led Reaching Out MBA conference.
Whirlpool Corporation’s commitment to diversity with inclusion has allowed the company to become a global leader in consumer-relevant products. Diversity of thought within its employees allows them to be more creative, more innovative and more relevant. These employees have been at the heart of making the company the world’s number one major appliance company and creating the leading portfolio of brands that meet the unique needs of its diverse global consumers, including those within the LGBT community. The company’s vision of Every Home... Everywhere recognizes that diversity is a key part of the family. Whirlpool Corporation has been creating products for more than a century that improve life at home with the knowledge that all types of families need to be welcomed, included, and celebrated.
Whirlpool Corporation is proud to be the first and only appliance manufacturer to receive a 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index. The company promotes equality because they understand that moving toward full equality helps to improve lives—one home and one family at a time.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 45 min 50 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 1 hour 45 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM