Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
BY Neal Broverman
May 18 2013 6:24 PM ET UPDATED: May 19 2013 4:43 PM ET
A man was subjected to homophobic slurs in New York City's Greenwich Village in the early minutes of Saturday before being shot in the face and later dying of his wounds.
Two men were walking near Sixth Avenue and Eighth Street when three men accosted them, hurling homophobic slurs and asking them if they were "gay wrestlers." One of the three aggressors took off, but the other two continued following the men. "Do you want to die here?" one of the aggressors asked before shooting 32-year-old Mark Carson in the face. The Brooklyn man later died at Beth Israel hospital.
The accused killer, later identified as 33-year-old Elliot Morales, ran off and headed downtown, but was quickly nabbed by police who are calling the murder a hate crime.
The night of the shooting, the accused killer was involved in an earlier confrontation, telling a bouncer at a club that he was the killer from the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Connecticut. Read more here.
New York state senator Brad Hoylman, representing Manhattan, released the following statement: "I am outraged by the recent wave of anti-LGBT violence in our City and it is shocking and extremely distressing that a man was shot to death just this morning apparently because he was gay. Nobody anywhere should have to live with fear of harm because of his or her sexual orientation. It is particularly upsetting that recent anti-LGBT incidents have occurred in neighborhoods in my district on the West Side of Manhattan, home to many members of our community. I applaud the NYPD for making a swift arrest in this case and call on all New Yorkers to unite against hate and gun violence."
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM