Europe approves Fuzeon, expanded use of Viread
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 29 2003 12:00 AM ET
The European Union on Tuesday gave marketing approval to drugmakers Roche and Trimeris to sell their HIV fusion inhibitor Fuzeon in all 15 member nations. The drug will cost $20,385 per year in Europe, slightly higher than the U.S. cost. The Food and Drug Administration approved Fuzeon for sale in the United States on March 13. Fuzeon, previously known as T-20, is the world's first HIV fusion inhibitor that works outside immune system cells to prevent HIV from attaching to and infecting the cells. All other available anti-HIV medications work to slow HIV replication inside cells already infected with the virus. Clinical trials showed Fuzeon to help lower blood-based viral loads, even among those carrying drug-resistant virus, when used as part of combination therapy. A Fuzeon follow-up product, called T-1249, is currently in development and has been shown in clinical trials to reduce viral levels in patients who have developed resistance to other anti-HIV medications, including Fuzeon.
The E.U. also expanded its approval of Viread, Gilead Science's nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor. The drug was approved in 2002 for treatment among HIV-positive people who've already taken other anti-HIV medications. The expanded approval allows doctors to prescribe Viread as part of first-time therapy. Viread was approved in the United States in 2001.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Travel S.F. Getting Its Own Rainbow Crosswalks 40 min 20 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 2 50 min 24 sec ago
- Media New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks 52 min 31 sec ago
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 1 hour 18 min ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 1 hour 26 min ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 1 hour 32 min ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 1 hour 34 min ago