Racicot condemns Montana Democrats' gay-vague ad
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2002 11:00 PM ET
Republican National Committee chairman Marc Racicot on Monday condemned a TV ad that, according to some critics, insinuates that Mike Taylor, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate from Montana, is gay. The ad, which was paid for by the Democratic Party, accuses Taylor of mishandling student loan money while running a beauty school in the 1980s. But what caused the uproar is a film clip from an old TV segment showing Taylor applying lotions to the face of a man sitting in a barber chair while discussing skin-care techniques. In the ad, Taylor is wearing a tight-fitting three-piece suit, a big-collared open shirt with several buttons undone, and gold chains. Taylor pulled out of the race October 10, saying that the ad had killed his chances of unseating Democratic U.S. senator Max Baucus, who is running for his fifth term.
Racicot, who was formerly governor of Montana, said the commercial was probably intended to convey that Taylor is gay and that the ad played on the homophobia of some voters. "What is particularly insidious is that the Democratic Party has tried to present itself as a champion of fair and equal treatment of everyone, including those who are victims of judgment based on sexual orientation," Racicot said.
Baucus defended the ad during campaign stops on Saturday, calling it "totally factual."
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 16 min 40 sec ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 25 min 39 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 42 min 11 sec ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 42 min 20 sec ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 1 hour 24 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 2 hours 58 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 3:34 PM